Sunday, June 20, 2010

Well, THAT was quite the week....


"mental alertness" (page 89)


Not only does this make me happy, but it's something that I would love to possess throughout this week. Although with this sleep level, that doesn't necessarily seem possible. I know they tell you to get 8 hours of sleep a night, but have they met the life of someone in this Georgetown program?!

Well lovelies, I haven't written in a week. Whoops! Although that's not entirely my fault. I haven't had much time to breath or sleep, much less right! This week was busy busy, but as my Dad says, at least it keeps me out of trouble! We had our usual interning and classes, as well as an all-institute debate and project meeting, on top of the fact that I was supposed to have a midterm Thursday (it got postponed at the last minute) so I spent an absurd amount of time stressing about that. Also, my family was in town, so I had dinner with them at my grandfather's throughout the week. Whoo!

Despite the insanity, I have managed to have some great times :-) My internship supervisor
signed myself and Karla, the other girl I intern with, up for some free classes at the Foundation Center, a local nonprofit that,
among other things, educates those in the nonprofit world. That was a nice break from the usual work week. On Wednesday, we went out to lunch at MOE'S (thank God) and ended up happening by the White House. There was this crazy man in a wizard hat, as you can see in the picture to the left, who was yelling at this reporter about being threatened, as well as the two women who accompanied him, sporting a fish hat and a bird hat. Interesting. The police were standing by incase anything came of it, but even they were laughing!

Wednesday night I had a lovely night with the roomies and then Friday I had my last dinner with the fam for awhile. It was great--Jon was in town too so I got to see two of my siblings as well as my Mom, Dad, Grandpa, and Uncle. I brought Dani and Sherrald with me to Papa's on Friday and we had a great night drinking wine and eating pizza with my family. Afterwards, we the three of us ladies came back to Georgetown and had a fun night on the town with my roommates and hung out at the apartment with a whole assortment of people!

My Dad and three of us kids

Sherrald, myself, and Dani: Even friends in the U.S. of A :-P

Saturday myself, Lindsey, and Kate had to get up wicked early (which was ROUGH) to go do
our service projects we signed up for. I worked for the first half of the day at a local hospice and longterm care center, The Washington Home and Community Hospices. It was amazing. Even though it was brutal functioning on three hours of sleep (whoops), the work was really great. I got to meet some amazing people and it was incredible to hear their life stories. It was really touching to see how much they appreciated us coming and helping out. When we all got home we mowed the free pizza and then took some major naps. Lindsey and I went shopping after that (I came home with two dresses from Urban Outfitters...an uncharacteristic of Chelsea splurge!) and got ice cream at Ice Berry (the BEST!). Then Lindsey, Chelsea, Chelsea's boyfriend,
Chelsea's boyfriend's cousin (confusing), and myself all went to the cousin's apartment in Columbia Heights to hang out and got some AMAZING Mexican/Salvadorian food. It was SO weird--On the way there I came across a Pollo Campero, A.K.A the fast food restaurant that dominated Guatemala, and at the restaurant they had pupusas, the breakfast food I got basically every weekend at the Saturday market in Belize. WEIRD! Study abroad REMIXXXXX! It was a really fun night, minus the difficulty of getting a cab home. I really did luck out with some great roommates!

Today, Sunday, I slept in until almost 1:00PM. It was seriously needed. After eating some leftovers and calling my Dad--HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!--I was about to start studying and then the fire alarm starting going off nonstop. It does that a lot. Annoying! Now I need to get a couple of random to-do list items done and then I've gotta study for the rest of the day (well, I guess evening by then--it's already 3 in the afternoon! How did that happen?). It's going to be a crazy week--I've got a mentor breakfast tomorrow morning and a briefing at the Capitol on Tuesday. It'll be great, but I'm already looking forward to next weekend!

0 comments: