Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Good God. Busy-ness!

Life is legitimately insane here. I have no idea if I've ever been this busy in my life. And if I have, Belize made me forget about it. So here I sit, it's almost midnight, I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and I've been going nonstop since before 7:00AM. WHOA.


So on Monday I had a bunch of orientation stuff in the morning, and then one of my roommates (it's a 5 person suite), Kate, and I decided to explore the Metro world (it's been a year, I needed a refresher), so we went to TARGET (to appreciate it's beauty and get school supplies) and PETCO to make me a new fish mommy. It was an excellent day, including an enjoyable stint of taking my new child on the Metro. After I got my fishy set up I went to my first class. I have ethics this month. For the firs time in my life, I'm enjoying a philosophy class! After class finished, myself and 2 of my roommates went to dinner at the little cafe on campus and I got my sushi fix. Megan (SHERRALD! From Belize) and her roommate came over to hang out later and we got ice cream. Later that night I put the finishing touches on my room (really, pictures will come soon).


Yesterday, Tuesday seems like it lasted multiple weeks. We had more orientation stuff in the morning and then I grabbed lunch before heading to this alcohol training thing. You have to register parties here--As in, Georgetown is cool with you having a keg in the dorm as long as they know about it so they can make sure you're not being too dumb. Crazy! I think this is better than UVM's idea of a dry campus because kids aren't hiding from the RAs and chugging alcohol in secret...Take notes UVM! I didn't get a fun tee shirt though, which was a bummer. After that I took the Georgetown University Transportation Service (I think that's what GUTS stands for) to Dupont Circle and attempted to find my internship site...Which resulted in me getting lost for over an hour. Good Lord. I never actually found it! I ended up coming home before that because I had a 3 hour class. After class, my in-my-room roommate, Katie (she's from UGA!), and I went to the grocery store because eating out here is SO expensive. We got so many groceries we had to take a cab home! Since we didn't get home till after 9:30PM, dinner was a bowl of cereal while I talked to Dill on the phone. I tried to get some sleep, but I was anxious for my internship so I only slept about 3 hours!


Today was my first day at my internship. Finding it ended up not actually being that complicated (at all), but it was raining all day which was kind of a bummer. I'm super excited for my job--the internship advisor is really into us getting what we want out the experience (e.g., she signed us up for these really cool professional classes at a local nonprofit so we can further learn how to fundraise and stuff), we're getting to do 2 days of direct service (actually working with clients) and 3 days of office work per week, and I really like the other girl who is interning with me via the Georgetown program. Today we just set up what will constitute the rest of the internship and helped serve lunch to the women. We got out a little early, so I finally got to a post office (lots of birthday mailings!) and then came home and did some homework while eating ice cream. Then I had over 3 hours of class--Well, one class that was an hour and a half and then after a 15 minute break, a lecture that was over an hour. Then I came back, made an epic salad with tuna on top, and have been reading and hanging out with my roommates since then. Katie and I watched some Friend's bloopers on YouTube to procrastinate--I highly recommend it if you need a laugh!


I'm still stuck between names for my fish baby. It's between Millard Fillmore (nickname would be Phil....Well, I guess Fill) and Calvin Coolidge (nickname would be Cal)....I think he's a Calvin, but I'm just not sure!


I'll definitely post pics ASAP. The rest of the week is filled with interning, classes, and even planning for my fundraising committee (I'm helping put on a carwash). This weekend, we finally get some down time and Dani (another Belizean buddy) is going to come up to campus from Bethesda (where she's staying for the summer) and hang out with Sherrald, myself, and our roommates! My Mom, Dad, little sister, and her friend arrive Sunday night to hang out with a bunch of our family here, so it'll be great to see them too :-)


0 comments: